Preview: "Fort Knox Down!"

Fort Knox Down!

by Gary Christenson

Chapter 1

 7:20 am, September 11, 2015 

An intruder standing on the roof of the Fort Knox Bullion Depository on the morning of September 11, 2015 would have seen the sunrise in the east. It was a magnificent golden sunrise that inspired visions of glory, wealth, and beauty. 

However, if that intruder had turned to the west he would have seen three drones flying 30 feet above the treetops directly toward the Fort Knox Bullion Depository at slightly more than 100 mph. Most people would not have understood the deadly potential of those flying machines. However, a day later the entire world would be shocked, and the consequences would ultimately affect more people, lives, and careers than anyone could reasonably expect. 

Each drone was armed with four rockets and contained seven kilograms of high explosive which were primed to explode upon impact. 

Drone number one fired a rocket at the main gate from 1,000 yards. A second rocket was fired a moment later, streaked toward a machine gun turret and destroyed it. The third and fourth rockets demolished the remaining machine gun turrets. Drone number one flew directly toward and crashed into the front door of the Bullion Depository and exploded. 

Drone number two circled to the back and fired all four rockets into the two overhead doors of the Fort Knox Bullion Depository and then crashed into the right rear overhead door severely damaging it. 

Drone number three fired all four rockets toward the front door, climbed to 3000 feet in altitude, and power dived into the roof of the building where it exploded in a fiery blast. The explosion and fire were impressive but did no damage to the interior of the depository.  

Two Hours before the Drone Attack:  

Two hours earlier and about eight miles west of the Fort Knox Bullion Depository three large transport trucks and one black suburban turned off Highway 144 into the parking lot at the Stonebridge Realty. With military efficiency a driver and passenger emerged from each truck, walked back to the large rear doors, removed an unloading ramp, and carefully lowered compact drones with an electric winch. Once the drones had been lowered to the parking lot, the driver and operator teams unfolded the drone wings, activated the GPS and electronic systems, and armed all four missiles on each drone. 

The three truck drivers, Matthew, Bobby, and Slade, and the three controllers, Lucy, Mabel and Stan, worked rapidly and according to plan. They had practiced for this moment many times in the barren area of west Texas and expected a near perfect attack sequence. 

They were a team, liked each other, and worked well together. Matthew Stone was the eldest and team leader. The others had been recruited by Matthew and were paid by a secretive company headquartered inside the D.C. beltway. 

When the drones were fully operational and oriented toward the highway, the three controllers climbed into the trailers and activated their control consoles. The consoles finished their self-testing diagnostics, antennas rose from the trailers, and the operators confirmed telemetry with their drones. Video feeds were established and displayed on dual monitoring screens in each trailer. 

Matthew watched the feed from inside the transport trailer he had driven to the Stonebridge Realty. Lucy, his drone operator, worked efficiently controlling drone number one. 

Drone number one taxied out of the parking lot onto Highway 144, increased power and turned south into the wind. Drones two and three followed with 30 second delays and were quickly airborne. 

The drones flew toward the Fort Knox Bullion Depository at 105 mph and reached attack distance in five minutes. Video cameras in the nose of the drones relayed video feeds to the console operators. 

The attack was timed so a United States surveillance satellite was overhead and observing the attack. Apache helicopters were scrambled from the Fort Knox base but were too late to prevent the drone attack. The result was an impressive smoking mess that caused no significant damage to the interior of Fort Knox or the vault inside. 

After the three drones had crashed and exploded, the drone controllers downloaded the video feeds and flight data onto flash drives, powered down the controlling consoles, and left their trailers. Matthew and two other drivers dumped ten gallons of gasoline into each of their trailers and activated pre-positioned bombs expecting to demolish the trailers and the drone consoles. Nobody cared about the tractors that had pulled the trailers and drones into position. The timers were set for 15 minutes. 

Chris, the driver of the black suburban that had accompanied the three 18 wheeler transport trucks, waited for the drone controllers and drivers to finish their attack and destroy missions. When all six were seated inside the suburban the three drone controllers handed their flash drives to Chris. He said, “Good work people. We accomplished what we intended and made a newsworthy splash. Obviously all of you are sworn to complete secrecy. No one must know what we did today." They drove north in silence to a parking lot in Louisville. 

Before they exited the suburban in Louisville Chris reminded them, "Remember, you must disappear and there should be no communication except on your secure phones. Keep quiet and you'll be contacted again as needed. Be cool!" 

Chris handed thick envelopes filled with $100 bills to each member of the team. They walked to their cars and departed feeling a sense of accomplishment and somewhat wealthier. Chris drove to his apartment and reported.


Thank you for reading the beginning of "Fort Knox Down!"